Clive James is an Australian author, broadcaster, poet and critic. James was one of the "brilliant creatures", other members included Robert Hughes and Germaine Greer, who felt they could only achieve anything in their chosen fields by getting-out of Australia. James first achieved fame on British television, while continuing to write essays, poetry, and his successful autobiographies.
Diagnosed with serious illness in 2010 the succeeding years have seen a remarkable output, particularly in the field of poetry.
“All I can do is turn a phrase until it catches the light.”
― Clive James, May Week Was in June, 1990.
The Library catalogue is a powerful searching tool. Use a basic keyword search to get you quickly to the resources you will find on our shelves.
Books on our shelves
- Unreliable memoirs
- Always unreliable
- Falling towards England: more Unreliable Memoirs
- May week was in June: more Unreliable Memoirs
Epic poetry (Translation)
- The Divine Comedy by Dante; translated by Clive James
Audio visual resources
- An interview with Andrew Denton Elders [DVD: Disc one]
Available from Quicktime:
- Brilliant Creatures: Germaine,Clive, Barry and Bob. Written and presented by Howard Jacobson.
- The Kid from Kogarah. An Interview conducted by Kerry O'Brien
- Clive James's poetic commentary on Proust. Review by Adam Watt, Times Literary Supplement, August 5 2016.
- Clive James's Poetry Notebook. Review by Jason Guriel in The New Republic. March 22nd, 2015
- The Divine Comedy by Dante, translated by Clive James. Review by Nicholas Lezard. The Guardian, Monday 22nd July, 2013.
- Stephen Romer reviews Nefertiti in the Flak Tower by Clive James. in Poetry Matters, 2012. This article is also available as a PDF for downloading.
- We are stardust: the restrained elegance of Clive Jame's sentenced to life. John Burnside, New Statesman, 16 April, 2015
- James, Clive 2016, 'Waking up in Europa: a romance with 'the civilizing effect that travels well'. TLS, June 17, pp. 15-17.
- Williamson, Geordie 2018, 'Beyond the shifting sky: Clive James's epic poem shows how strength can be found when the force is fading'. Weekend Australian Review, September 15-16, pp. 16-19
- Clive James on his new poetry and his distinctive voice. ABC PM. 25 November, 2014 . Includes script with Marc Colvin and vodcase [9:59]
- Conversations with Richard Fidler. Clive James. Wednesday 12 September 2012.[46:37]
- Worrying about death is an indulgence. Interview with Billie Porter, 4 News, Friday 20 March 2015 [5:35}
- BBC Radio 4: A Point of View These programmes were first broadcast between 2007 and 2009.
- Clive James website
- Clive James grants Trent Dalton five hours of spirited debate in Cambridge. [Includes video of James reading his poem 'Japanese Maple'. The Australian, March 27 2015.]
- Clive James: 'I've got a lot done since my death' Article by Robert McCrum, in The Observer, Sunday 15 March 2015. [Includes video of James reading his poem 'Early to Bed'
- The Poetry Foundation - Clive James