Carol Ann Duffy was born in Glasgow and moved to Staffordshire as a child. On graduating from Liverpool University she has worked in London and Manchester as a freelance writer. Her first collection of poetry Standing Female Nude was published in 1985.
Her poetry frequently uses the voice of outsiders - the dispossessed, the insane, and those, especially women, ignored by history. Her range, craft, many awards, and gift as a public performer have made her one of Britain's most popular, respected and influential poets.
The Oxford Companion to English Literature. edited by Margaret Drabble. 6th edition, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2000, page 305
Love is talent, the world's lost metaphor.
Aflame, October's leaves adore the wind,
its urgent breath, whirl to their own death.
Not here, you're everywhere.
Duffy, Carol Ann. Rapture, Picador, London, 2007, page 27
On our shelves:
- New selected poems: 1824-2004
- Ritual lighting with poems by Carol Ann Duffy and with artwork by Stephen Raw
- The World's wife
Picture book / Children's book
- The Gift illustrated by papercut artist Rob Ryan
- Everyman: a new adaptation by Carol Ann Duffy
- Anthology of twentieth-century British & Irish poetry edited by Keith Tuma. Includes an introduction to the poet and five of her poems
Criticism and interpretation
- The Poetry of Carol Ann Duffy: 'Choosing tough words' edited by Angelica Michelis & Antony Rowland
- Obborn, Jane, Buckroyd. 'Carol Ann Duffy' in Satire, 2001, pp. 92-95. Includes an introduction to the poet and two of her poems, 'Poet of our Times' and 'making money'
On our shelves:
- York Notes Advanced: Carol Ann Duffy
- GradeSaver - Carol Ann Duffy
- Wroe, Nicholas. 'Carol Ann Duffy on five years as poet laureate: It's been a joy', The Guardian, September 27, 2014.
- British Council - Literature - Carol Ann Duffy
- Poetry Foundation - Carol Ann Duffy
- Scottish Poetry Library - Carol Ann Duffy
Criticism and interpretation:
- BBC Bitesize : Carol Anne Duffy's Valentine
- Lyall, Sarah. 'After 341 years, British poet laureate is a woman', The New York Times, May 1, 2009.
- Runcie, Charlotte. 'Carol Ann Duffy and the laureate's curse', The Telegraph, November 28, 2015.