Diabetes is a chronic disease that occurs when there is too much glucose in the blood becuase the body is not producing insulin or not using insulin properly. Insulin is a hormone needed for glucose to enter the cells and be converted to energy. Diabetes has become Australia's fastest growing disease and unfortunately overweight Australian children are falling victim to diabetes ... something that was almost unknown a decade ago.
[Diabetes, edited Justin Healey from Issues in Society, volume 250]
The Library catalogue is a powerful searching tool. Use a basic keyword search to get you quickly to the resources you will find on our shelves.
- Diabetes - 616.462
Facts on File:
Issues in Society:
- Sugar consumption Vol. 417
On our shelves:
- Diseases edited by Bryan Brunch. Volume 3: Diabetes - pages 3-12
- U.X.L. Encyclopedia of Diseases and Disorders. Volume 2. Diabetes - pages 303-310
Go to the Library's Homework Help pages then to our Online Resources to find the following:
- Diabetes Volume 250 from the Issues in Society series
- Diabetes deMystified: a self-teaching guide
- Diabetes for dummies
- A modern epidemic: expert perspectives on obesity and diabetes
- What you really need to know about living with diabetes
Audio Visual resources
- Zofia, Niemtus, 2016, 'How to teach ... diabetes', The Guardian, 29 March
You will find a range of useful databases on the Library website. They include full-text journals and magazine articles, and a range of newspapers. For up-to-date information in any area of Health Studies you will need to access the material you will find in this area. Remember you will need your User Name and Password to log into this section of our website.
Proquest eLibrary has a many resources on Diabetes. They include transcripts from many Australian sites, including the Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Library Subject Guides
The following Library guides may also help your research in this area:
- ABC Splash: Diabetes not so sweet
- ABC. Health & Wellbeing site - Diabetes
- AIHW. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Diabetes
- Australian Type 1 Diabetes Research Network
- Better Health Channel (Victorian Government) . Diabetes
- Diabetes Australia. Diabetes Australia was established in 1984, and is the national body for people affected by all types of diabetes and those at risk.
- Diabetes- Kids & Teens - From Diabetes N.S.W.
- From Healthdirect: Diabetes - Diabetes medication -Diabetes testing & monitoring